The Right information, delivered at the Right time, equals an engaged and empowered patient.
Every patient’s journey through cancer is unique, but one thing remains universal—the need for objective and trustworthy information, as well as critically important support.
My Cancer Advocate is a not-for-profit organization whose mission is to lighten the burden for cancer patients and their families by providing empathic and informative guidance to help patients effectively and efficiently navigate the difficult journey ahead.
The Cancer Advocate is a highly trained professional who is intimately familiar with the health care system and who serves as a vitally important resource to the patient and his or her family. The Advocate ensures access to the right information and the most appropriate resources—beginning at diagnosis and continuing through active treatment and beyond.
Though the Advocate’s first and foremost concern is patient empowerment, he or she is well prepared to help with numerous challenges, including:
- Selecting a cancer care team and facility for treatment
- Understanding one’s diagnosis and treatment options (including attending physician appointments if requested)
- Identifying trustworthy and objective sources of information
- Getting second opinions when appropriate
- Talking with family and friends about your disease
- Understanding the intended goals of treatment
- Anticipating/managing short-term and long-term side effects of treatment
- Sharing objective information regarding the potential role of complementary therapies
- Helping you to manage the emotional distress that often accompanies cancer
- Working with you to sustain hope throughout the journey
- Locating additional payment options if treatment is unaffordable
- Moving forward if initial treatments fail
- Dealing with the challenges of survivorship
- Managing difficult end-of-life issues